Friday, October 15, 2010

Alphabet Blocks

While brainstorming ideas for photographing babies, I thought it might be cute to have alphabet blocks that would spell the baby's name in front of them, and then let the baby hold one or two in the picture, too.

I searched for blocks on a few different websites, thinking that I would find a good set on something like etsy.com, which I did, but many of them are really just custom sets and only offer certain letters or specific names, and the full sets are really pricey, (and I would soon find out why.)

So, I decided that I would make a set of blocks on my own instead. This is one of those times when having a carpenter for a dad comes in really handy. (Those times come up more than you would think, though.) He has a great shop with every tool you could possibly need and a ton of scrap wood. At least I think it's scraps, maybe he just gives me the wood because he's awesome.

I cut 2" x 2" pieces of wood and decided on making 20 of them. Sanding the edges and corners of each block took more time than I had planned, but I figured keeping the babies that I'm photographing free of scrapes and splinters was important enough, so I decided to work through it...



Once I got the blocks home, I cut up some leftover scrapbook paper that I used for a jewelry show. Then, I used Modge Podge to decoupage the scrapbook paper to one side of the blocks...





Then, I painted letters and pictures (A is for Apple sort of thing.) I wasn't sure how many of each letter I needed, but hopefully I will have enough of each, and I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble to head back to ole dad's shop if I happen to photograph somebody with four V's in their name...



It definitely took longer than I thought it was going to, but I love having a crafty project to work on and I'm really happy with how they turned out.





I have another family portrait session this weekend, Margaret and Price and their beautiful baby girl, Miller!

Until then...



3 comments:

LP October 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

I love your blocks, but I will tell you can sometimes find great deals on sets of blocks at antique stores. I saw some at Southern Crossing last time I was there.

I think it's a great idea to have the babies with the blocks...and if you ever find a baby with a name with 4 V's I must know ;)

Mrs. McCarthy October 17, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

LOVE those blocks! I bet there's a ton of people out there who would love a personalized set like that.... :) Maybe a thought for your future art fairs!

Burton and Bryan Jones October 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

WOW! Love these! Cannot wait to see them in photos! And i know my future children will love playing with these Olivia Brooks personalized blocks:)

Followers

About This Blog

Brooks Wilder Photography was founded in 2010. Working out of Jacksonville, Florida, Brooks fell in love capturing beautiful moments on film. Brooks offers unique photography sessions for family, maternity, newborn, engagement, etc. portraits.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP